Welcome to the web site of the Greek & Cypriot Community of Northampton, UK.
Northampton is a large market town and local government district in the East Midlands region of England. It is about 67 miles (108 km) north-west of London and around 50 miles (80 km) south-east of Birmingham, and lies on the River Nene. It is the county town of Northamptonshire. The district’s population is 200,100 and the town population is 189,474, making Northampton the 22nd-largest settlement in England, and the UK’s 4th-largest town without official city status, after Reading, Dudley and Milton Keynes. Northampton is the most populous district in England that is not a unitary authority, a status it failed to obtain in the 1990s local government reform. Northampton’s population has increased greatly since the 1960s, largely due to planned expansion under the New Towns Commission in the early 1970s. Remains found here date from the Bronze Age. Farming settlement probably began around the 7th century AD.
The Greek & Cypriot community of Northampton dates back to the 1960’s. The first Greek Orthodox services in the town were held at All Saints Church next to the market square in 1968 and then moved to St. Peter’s in Mare Fare around 1973. In 1998 the Greek Orthodox community of Northampton bought St Crispin’s chapel. The former chapel of St. Crispin’s Hospital was designed in 1887 by Robert Griffiths of Stratford in early Gothic Style. It houses interior frescoes by Henry Bird and GBH Holland.
It is now the Greek Orthodox church of St. Neophytos the Recluse of Cyprus.